|The growth in registered users on Shovler has been very exciting to watch and we are nearing 1,000 snow shovelers nationwide, with the majority of them in large cities such as New York, Chicago, Cleveland, Philadelphia and Boston.
We are pleased with the growth, but are the first to admit that we have been experiencing growing pains. The major complaints we’ve received are that there are not enough jobs available and that there aren’t enough snow shovelers available. These are the natural growing pains of creating a marketplace and the fact that snow shovelers can only see up to a 10 miles radius makes it even more difficult to match shovelers with jobs. We hope both sides can have patience as we continue to increase the amount of users, which will help make the logistics for both sides smoother.
If you requested snow removal and we couldn’t fulfill your order: Please try us again! We know we are asking a lot, but we have increased the amount of snow shovelers since then, and hopefully someone is now available in your area.
New updates from Shovler:
1) From now until January 1st, we will be lowering the percentage that we take from each job from 15% down to 10% to encourage more job requests and to pass along more money to snow shovelers.
2) We are going to start adding small jobs from $2-$5 in select areas, regardless of the weather. All you have to earn this money is show up at the location and take a couple of pictures. We are limiting this promotion to one per person in order to get snow shovelers more familiar with how the app works and to encourage shovelers to sign up with their Stripe account.
4) We have increased our social marketing spend to increase the awareness of the app.
3) We are no longer operating in Canada for this season. We decided that we have our hands full with just the U.S. We hope to resume operations there next winter.
We are reaching out to you for help.
How snow shovelers can help:
1) Please share Shovler with your friends and your friends on social media.
- Please, PLEASE!, share Shovler with your friends on the social media such as Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram. This will increase the amount of job orders for everyone on Shovler and make the platform run smoother for everybody.
2) Don’t accept a job unless you are going to complete it ASAP.
- There have been several cases already where a snow shoveler accepted a job and didn’t show up. It makes Shovler look bad and ruins it for everybody. We are trying to build an amazing community app that makes it easier for people that need their snow removed to find somebody that is willing to help. By ruining the reputation of the app, you are ruining this vision. If this continues to happen, we will need to create a more strenuous on-boarding process for snow shovelers, which defeats the purpose.
3) Make sure that the app is open in your background so that you receive notifications when new jobs are added.
- Some people have complained that they don’t receive any jobs, but fail to leave Shovler open in the background. We will only let you know when a job is added within a 10 mile radius.
4) Link your Stripe account.
- If you aren’t seeing many jobs, or you can’t accept jobs, that usually means that you haven’t setup your Stripe account. We know this can be slightly annoying, but this is what Stripe requires you to do in order to accept credit cards. (The hardest part of the setup process is coming up with a password that Stripe accepts. They require a combination of capital letters, symbols, and numbers.)
5) Have patience.
- We are very new. We are trying to manage a marketplace and ensure that there are lots of connections throughout the entire United States. This is a very difficult task and one that requires tens of thousands of users. We are nearing 1,000 snow shovelers now, but we continue to market and expect to increase this number significantly.
- Remember, in most places, there has not been significant snow fall yet. We expect most people will request snow shovelers only after they aren’t able to do it themselves. This will likely be around 9 inches to 1 foot of snow.
6) Send us feedback!
- The feedback we have received so far has been priceless. Please continue to send us your suggestions and thoughts about the app so that we can improve. We may not be able to implement everything this season, but we hope to integrate a lot of the great suggestions we have received by next season.
Have a great day ahead and we really appreciate you being a user of Shovler!
The Shovler Team
P.S. Please remember to share the app with your friends on Facebook!