It looks like snow season has begun in the U.S.A, at least in the mountains. According to news reports, “Rain at lower elevations and snow at higher elevations is expected to continue through Saturday.”
Even though this is snow is only in the mountains, it has still got us excited! We hope you are too!
We will be releasing the latest Shovler App in the very near future.
Stay tuned for details!
We hope you have been having a great summer and are enjoying the warm weather!
We just wanted to let you know that the Farmer’s Almanac was just published, and it’s forecasting a cold and snowy winter for the 2017-2018 winter season for some parts including the Northeast.
While we don’t know how accurate the Farmer’s Almanac is, we just wanted to let you know that we are hard at work improving the Shovler App for this upcoming season.
We have been working over the last 6 months to improve the user experience and add features that we believe are necessary to offer the best snow removal app experience. We think that users and snow shovelers will find the app to be even more useful this next winter.
Even though you’re likely not excited about a potentially cold and snowy winter, we just want to let you know that we are hard at work preparing to make it a bit more manageable.
In case you haven’t heard yet, there is a huge snow storm brewing for the east coast. They are expecting it to hit Monday night through Tuesday night and some meteorologists are estimating that this could be one of the top 5 largest snow storms to ever hit the east coast in March!
Shovler sent out an email to subscribers recently asking for feedback on the app, as we expected that the snowy season was winding down. Well, I guess we were wrong!
We just wanted to let you know that we will definitely be operating this storm. Make sure to download the app from the Google Play store or the App Store if you haven’t already.
Shovler is the largest snow shoveling app, and the easiest, most convenient way to order a snow shoveler. It also makes it easy for snow shovelers to find snow shoveling jobs nearby.
If you have any questions – email us at admin at shovler dot com.
We are expecting a large snow storm for the east coast later this week – and we here at Shovler are ready!
If you are interested in shoveling snow for this upcoming storm, register as a snow shoveler now! We look very carefully at where we have registered snow shovelers – with active Stripe accounts – and then market accordingly.
Oh yeah – and check out some of the cool Shovler gear we got as a gift!
We have been too busy with the recent snow storms that we haven’t had time to even update the blog!
We just wanted to let everyone know that we are still operating and continue to complete jobs throughout the country. We have now completed jobs in 7 states and 2,500 snow shovelers registered on the platform!
The media attention that we are getting has also been amazing. This week we were featured or mentioned in the NY Post, CNBC, NBC News, ABC, and other news outlets. We really appreciate the attention we have been getting and hope that we can continue to live up to the hype!
Right now we are focused on making sure that users have the best experience possible. We have received feedback from several users that they are having trouble with the autofill in the maps. We have our tech team working on this and plan to upload a new version of the app ASAP with this issue fixed.
For the time being, if you are having problems with the autofill, you can still move the pin on the map to the location that you need done. Yes it is tedious, but it works. Just zoom out and then zoom into the location that you want done.
It looks like we have a little quiet before the next snow storm. During the meantime, Snow shovelers, please sign up your Stripe accounts! If you want to confirm that your Stripe account works before the first snow storm to ensure that all payments go through – please email as at admin at Shovler dot com to setup a time to do so.
Today marked our first day operating in Colorado!
We originally weren’t going to focus much on this state, as it already has a very significant snow infrastructure, but we decided to give it a test run today anyways due to the major snowfall last night.
We were amazed at the demand for the app both from people in need of snow removal and snow shovelers looking for work. Hundreds of people have downloaded the app in Colorado over the last 24 hours.
Most of the jobs that have been completed so far on the Shovler App have been in the larger Denver area, and the average wait time for a snow shoveler to accept a job was under 2 hours.
We have been seeing lots of snow shovelers registering in Colorado Springs and Boulder too, and once we see many of them with Stripe accounts we will market more heavily in those areas.
Overall, today has been an exciting day for Shovler and we are happy to now be serving major cities in Colorado.
For those of you that have been happy using the app, please share the word on social media! The more jobs and snow shovelers we have registered, the more useful the app will be in the future.
The Gazette took note of our launch in Colorado Springs and Denver today!
We just wanted to let everyone know, that we have snow shovelers available in most major cities in the North East to shovel snow during this major nor’easter!
We also have to thank The Penny Hoarder for writing a great feature piece about us. We were able to add a lot more snow shovelers in more suburban areas because of the article, and we are now well above 1,000 snow shovelers registered on the app!
Now we just need more orders to keep them busy!
For snow shovelers that are registered: Make sure to register your Stripe API Key in the app, or you won’t be able to accept any jobs!
Please find below the latest email that we sent to the Shovler newsletter today.
We forgot to mention that we also just released a new version of iOS and Android – so if you are having any technical problems, please download the update.
|The growth in registered users on Shovler has been very exciting to watch and we are nearing 1,000 snow shovelers nationwide, with the majority of them in large cities such as New York, Chicago, Cleveland, Philadelphia and Boston.
We are pleased with the growth, but are the first to admit that we have been experiencing growing pains. The major complaints we’ve received are that there are not enough jobs available and that there aren’t enough snow shovelers available. These are the natural growing pains of creating a marketplace and the fact that snow shovelers can only see up to a 10 miles radius makes it even more difficult to match shovelers with jobs. We hope both sides can have patience as we continue to increase the amount of users, which will help make the logistics for both sides smoother.
If you requested snow removal and we couldn’t fulfill your order: Please try us again! We know we are asking a lot, but we have increased the amount of snow shovelers since then, and hopefully someone is now available in your area.
New updates from Shovler:
1) From now until January 1st, we will be lowering the percentage that we take from each job from 15% down to 10% to encourage more job requests and to pass along more money to snow shovelers.
2) We are going to start adding small jobs from $2-$5 in select areas, regardless of the weather. All you have to earn this money is show up at the location and take a couple of pictures. We are limiting this promotion to one per person in order to get snow shovelers more familiar with how the app works and to encourage shovelers to sign up with their Stripe account.
4) We have increased our social marketing spend to increase the awareness of the app.
3) We are no longer operating in Canada for this season. We decided that we have our hands full with just the U.S. We hope to resume operations there next winter.
We are reaching out to you for help.
How snow shovelers can help:
1) Please share Shovler with your friends and your friends on social media.
- Please, PLEASE!, share Shovler with your friends on the social media such as Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram. This will increase the amount of job orders for everyone on Shovler and make the platform run smoother for everybody.
2) Don’t accept a job unless you are going to complete it ASAP.
- There have been several cases already where a snow shoveler accepted a job and didn’t show up. It makes Shovler look bad and ruins it for everybody. We are trying to build an amazing community app that makes it easier for people that need their snow removed to find somebody that is willing to help. By ruining the reputation of the app, you are ruining this vision. If this continues to happen, we will need to create a more strenuous on-boarding process for snow shovelers, which defeats the purpose.
3) Make sure that the app is open in your background so that you receive notifications when new jobs are added.
- Some people have complained that they don’t receive any jobs, but fail to leave Shovler open in the background. We will only let you know when a job is added within a 10 mile radius.
4) Link your Stripe account.
- If you aren’t seeing many jobs, or you can’t accept jobs, that usually means that you haven’t setup your Stripe account. We know this can be slightly annoying, but this is what Stripe requires you to do in order to accept credit cards. (The hardest part of the setup process is coming up with a password that Stripe accepts. They require a combination of capital letters, symbols, and numbers.)
5) Have patience.
- We are very new. We are trying to manage a marketplace and ensure that there are lots of connections throughout the entire United States. This is a very difficult task and one that requires tens of thousands of users. We are nearing 1,000 snow shovelers now, but we continue to market and expect to increase this number significantly.
- Remember, in most places, there has not been significant snow fall yet. We expect most people will request snow shovelers only after they aren’t able to do it themselves. This will likely be around 9 inches to 1 foot of snow.
6) Send us feedback!
- The feedback we have received so far has been priceless. Please continue to send us your suggestions and thoughts about the app so that we can improve. We may not be able to implement everything this season, but we hope to integrate a lot of the great suggestions we have received by next season.
Have a great day ahead and we really appreciate you being a user of Shovler!
The Shovler Team
P.S. Please remember to share the app with your friends on Facebook!
This weekend marked the first snow day that Shovler was active and operational.
Let me start off with our favorite feedback that we received today:
“amazing . who made this app . god bless him”
To sum it up, it was truly an amazing day – and one that surpassed even our wildest expectations. Not only did we receive our first snow removal orders, we also registered over 200 new snow shovelers.
Unfortunately we were not able to complete all of the snow shoveling job orders we received, even though some snow shovelers were in locations nearby them. This was likely due to many snow shovelers not setting up their Stripe accounts in order to receive payments.
If you want to be able to accept snow shoveling jobs on Shovler, you have to add your Stripe API Key! We can’t stress that enough. We understand that this is slightly annoying, but it is important because that is how you get paid.
It looks like there is a big snow storm on the horizon, including potentially New York City, our home base. Please prepare for the storm by inputting your Stripe API Key and buying a shovel!
The news is reporting that New York City is holding its annual snow drill and that snow is expected as soon as next week.
“The Department of Sanitation’s fleet consists of more than 2,000 rear-loading collection trucks, 450 mechanical brooms and 689 salt and sand spreaders, housed in their 59 district garages across the city.”
I wish they had included Shovler in the snow drill. The app already has hundreds of snow shovelers ready in New York City. We will hopefully update when we reach the 1,000 mark. The goal is that anyone that needs snow shoveling will have a snow shoveler that can reach them within 15-30 minutes from ordering. I think Shovler could be a major asset for the city of New York in the future to make the logistics of snow removal easier. Sometimes human grit is better than machines.
We are starting to increase the amount of advertising we are doing so that snow shovelers will have jobs available nearby. We hope to be running ads shortly on all the major social media websites such as Facebook, Instagram, Google, Bing, and Twitter.
Please reach out if you have any suggestions or ideas!